Thursday, September 15, 2011

All a Boy Wants

This is the quilt I'm making for Will. All that's left to do is the actual quilting. Will picked out the pattern from the book Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts by Pam and Nicki Lintott. This is the third quilt I've made from this book--it's a marvelous collection!


Tomorrow is "No Nag Friday," my favorite day of the week. On Fridays I don't remind Jack to brush his teeth or floss, I don't boot him into the shower, I don't even tell him to get off the computer when he's been on there way too long. I take Fridays off, and it feels great.

Interestingly enough, he seems happy about it, too.

Jack's favorite thing to tell me right now is, "I just want to do what I want to do." Which of course makes me laugh and laugh. Oh, honey, I think. Oh, little baby sweetie pie. Your days of getting to do what you want to do are so over. You're twelve. You don't even have any good Christmases left. You're going to start getting shirts and wallets for Christmas. You're going to get pajamas.

Oh, where is Santa Claus when you need him?

I just want to do what I want to do
. Well, that's true for all of us, I suppose. And growing up is one long lesson in realizing that you get to do what you want to do after you do your homework and study for your Latin quiz, after you walk the dog and call your grandmother and go to youth group and make polite conversation at the dinner table and floss your teeth. In the ten minutes that are left of your day, you get to do what you want to do. Ain't life grand?

I should be honest here: I had very little self-discipline until I was in my late twenties. For much of my life, all I wanted to do was read, and that's pretty much all I did. I did what I wanted to do, and for the most part my grades reflected that. Sometimes when I worry about Jack, I remember my twelve-year-self and think, "He's not half the idiot you were."

And that's why I don't nag him on Fridays.

11 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

Frances, you are such a smart mama. No nag Fridays are a good idea. Really though, do you *nag* or do you expect something? There is a difference, right?

My kids joked that they got "wool" from their grandparents for Christmas once they hit their teens. True. True.

Jody

Gumbo Lily said...

P.S.
The quilt, the lovely quilt! How did I forgot to say how much I love it. The colors are similar to the varied blue jean squares I'm sewing together now.

Tracy said...

That quilt is divine. Will is a lucky boy.

I'm a bit like you on Friday's. We all slack off, take things slow, eat late...because it's the end of the week and all of us are done in. Everyone needs a day like that. You are so very wise to identify it and be deliberate about it. I just can't be bothered by Friday! Your reasoning is far more intelligent!

Ali said...

When you put it like that, it becomes clear why on the verge of teendom turns some of them into temporary monsters.

Hard, this growing up business.

Angela said...

Love the quilt!
I think that we 'grown-ups' sometimes forget just how hard it is to be a teenager.
May Fridays in your family be truly blessed, Frances - and every other day too!

Pom Pom said...

Wow! The quilt is stunning!
No nag Fridays. Great idea! We have "read all period" Fridays this year which I LOVE! So, no nagging.
Yesterday we also talked about choices and how having more choices makes us feel. You know, choosing your clothes and stuff. They are so very young and so very dear.
During "read all period" Friday I read about Kate and her boot purchase. LOVE! I also read my Reading Workshop class Chicken Boy. They like!
Will and Jack live in a good Frances-y world.

Leslie said...

Love that beautiful quilt! The colors are perfect. You are quite the talented quilter.

I need to go floss my teeth....

debbie bailey said...

You're always good for a laugh! I'll bet it's fun to be your kid.

victoria said...

No Nag Fridays could become a movement with so much of a mental health benefit for the person who gets to not nag for one day a week, what's not to love!

The dB family said...

Your quilt is beautiful!! *Sigh* I'm having a little bit of quilting envy right now.

That is a brilliant idea! I may have to incorporate it with my older four. I wonder how late they will end up staying up....

Have I mentioned how much I love the photo of your kitchen in your header? It looks so warm and inviting! I do adore me a room with a view too!

Blessings!
Deborah

Amanda said...

I also love your kitchen window picture. I called my daughter over to see the wonderful curtains and the delightful farm animals. She didn't get my excitement, but I think they're just lovely.