Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Report

(I've been saving eggshells to plant seeds in. The Man has been playing around a lot with his new camera and thought the shells would make an interesting picture.)

I just want to make clear that I am a very responsible dog walker. I never leave home without a roll of biodegradable green bags--poop bags, for the lack of a more poetic term--in my jacket pocket, and I always scoop.

Well, almost always. Sometimes this time of year, if I'm not paying close attention, I lose sight of things. The grass around our neighborhood is faded and brown, often covered with leaves. From time to time when Travis is done doing his business, I simply cannot find it. I look and look, and it's like it disappeared.

I am only willing to devote so much of my day to searching for missing business. If I can't find it after a minute, I shrug and move along.

Today was one of those days. Travis did his business, I searched for it, couldn't find it. Only today there was a neighbor backing out of her driveway while Travis was going, and I felt like I couldn't just walk away. She'd probably seen Travis doing his business--you can't miss it, after all, when a dog's got number 2 on his mind--and if I just walked away, she'd think I was one of those terrible people who does not scoop.

And then what would happen? She'd probably post something on the neighborhood list-serv. To the woman in the red jacket with the adorable Cockapoo, PLEASE SCOOP YOUR DOG'S POOP. Well, I walk my dog every day, and every day I wear my red jacket, so everyone would know it was me, and I'd probably be forced to sew a huge P to the back of my coat.

Unbearable. Untenable. So you know what I did? I scooped a poop-sized portion of leaves. Scooped 'em right into my biodegradable poop bag, waved to my neighbor, and I went on my merry way.

I mean, what else was I supposed to do?

8 comments:

Tracy said...

This is another reason we don't have dogs. Scooping just sets me to being queasy. There is a man who jogs in the mornings with his dog, and I know that bag of poop goes in his pocket. I have to shut my eyes while he jogs past or that's all I can think of and I feel ill.

Then again, I appreciate that I'm not dodging it on the footpath. Which is why I don't have dogs. I'd be the dog-walker all the other walkers would hate.

Bravo for trying so hard!

Angela said...

That seems a very nifty solution to your dilemma. In my dog walking days I remember struggling to find 'it' among the autumn leaves.

I liked your Nathaniel Hawthorne idea- perhaps the 'P' should be in the same shade of scarlet as your jacket, then it wouldn't be so obvious!

BTW, I am loving the b&w photographs.

blessings x

The dB family said...

I love it!! I was wondering how you were going to solve your dilemma :o).

Blessings!
Deborah

debbie bailey said...

You deceiver! Ha!

wayside wanderer said...

Hahaha! That's great! One of my neighbors pasted little laminated signs all along the edge of his yard. They were of a cartoon doggie going poo with a red circle and line through it.
Your eggs are beautiful.

GretchenJoanna said...

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Pom Pom said...

WOW! Stickwork is amazing! I think I may make a little house for the garden. Guess what? I got a snow day! I am delighted! It's VERY cold.
Have you ever read anything by Sarah Orne Jewett? Oh, I am enjoying The Country of the Pointed Firs.

Gumbo Lily said...

I am really liking The Man's photography. Tell him for me. I have a dog, but I do not have to scoop poop. On the other hand, we have cows and sheep, and when it's calving or lambing time, I DO scoop poop with a pitchfork or a scoop shovel.

Jody