Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Day


I have been in hibernation. January's like that for me. After the high energy of the New Year wears off, my job becomes getting through the winter with my sanity in tact. No small job.

True, here in North Carolina, where the average January day temp hovers around 50, it's pretty easy to coast along during the daylight hours. But when darkness sets in around five o'clock, I get to feeling claustrophobic. I'm trapped in January! Will I ever escape?

It snowed last night, and it's snowing still. There is beauty everywhere. It is beauty heightened by the knowledge that it will be gone in 48 hours.

I'm knitting, knitting, knitting. I'm sitting in a rocking chair by the fire and knitting and listening to an audiobook of The Two Towers. I take the little CD player with me when I walk the dog. The Lord of the Rings is a great walking story. That's all they do, walk and walk. I am on a journey with Frodo and Sam and Merry and Pippen.

In an hour, I will sit down to watch the Inauguration. Ah, the peaceful transfer of power, how I love it.

Back to my knitting.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Meanwhile in the southern hemisphere we sweltered through 41C/114F. Dh wisely did not invite us to pop out to his brother's, instead leaving us to our new ducted cooling none the wiser.

Anonymous said...

Winter survival...I know the feeling well. Well, we are almost through January, and February is the shortest month, soooo....spring is on the horizon! (ish) :)

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Tracy, 114F? How is this survivable? Stay cool, my friend!

Tina, if I can make it through February, I'm good. Here in the American South, spring tends to come early enough to give a girl hope.

Of course, making it through February isn't as easy as it sounds ...