Wednesday, November 5, 2008

So We Held an Election and Everybody Came

This is not a space for political ramblings, and frankly, I'm too beat to ramble. I did a lot of baking this afternoon--cakes for the church bazaar, Snickerdoodle cookies shaped like S's for Will's kindergarten class tomorrow--and was on my feet for hours.

I won't even say who I voted for or how I felt about the outcome, just that when the election was called at 11 p.m. I wept and laughed and pulled Jack out of bed to make him come see. Whether you like Obama or not, voted for Obama or not, I think we can all agree it was an historical moment. A heart-lifting, hopeful moment--maybe even for folks who didn't vote for him. I heard people today say things to that effect--"I didn't vote for Obama, but I'm glad our country has gotten to the place where an African American can be elected president."

Anyway, they kept interviewing all these Civil Rights warhorses on the radio this afternoon while I was baking, people in their seventies and eighties talking about what Martin would have thought of this election and how they never dreamed they'd see a black man in the White House in their lifetime, and I kept having these three-second sobbing fits. I can't explain it.

How many people cried when George Bush beat John Kerry? Or when Bill Clinton beat the first George Bush? Nobody did. But last night on TV they kept showing pictures of people--black, white, Asian, Hispanic, old, young, male, female, the whole kit and kaboodle of humanity--everybody letting loose with the tears. It was beautiful. It made me proud to be an American. Now we know: Change is possible. I'd given up hope. Somebody gave it back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cried and I'm not even American. I am just so proud of you all.

Kate

Unknown said...

I cried because for the first time in ages you guys had a real choice. Two great men.

daisymum

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Kate, thank you. It's a great source of joy for many Americans that the world is rejoicing with us.

daisymum7, I agree wholeheartedly. How wonderful to have such two strong candidates of such a high caliber. It was so nice to feel like this election we could vote for someone we believed in rather than choosing the lesser of two evils. Thanks for stopping by!

Dulce Domum said...

I think it was an incredibly historic moment. The whole world went WOW!

Victoria said...

It's so true- I cried (happy touched tears) while watching it on tv on holidays in Thailand!!