Monday, March 17, 2008

Emerging ...

I haven't posted regularly at all this year, mostly because I've been writing books. I finished one in February and started another one in March. All my creative energy has been focused on that writing, not this writing.

I've had things to write about, just not time. For instance, I've pondered hiring a cleaner to come clean my windows, hardwoods and fridge once a month. Oh, and the tubs. These are the jobs I put off forever, and it occurred to me it would be nice to get someone else to do them. But it's a lot of money to pay out just because I'm lazy.

Well, it's winter, at least on this hemisphere, and in winter I want to sit on the couch and read under a blanket. So that's what the last two months have been like: writing in the morning, reading in the afternoon, cooking and cleaning in the late afternoon/early evening. Then more reading and bed. It's a schedule that suits me, but not my house, at least not in the corners where the crumbs gather.

Spring is coming. Everything's starting to bloom. There's a mist of color across the yards and the roadsides. I ordered some seeds two weeks ago, and they arrived today, mostly herbs, but some shade loving plants as well.

We're getting a dog on Saturday. A puppy named Travis. Cockapoo. I've always imagined myself as the kind of person who drives around in a used truck with a mutt from the pound in the back, but the fact is, I've got a minivan that will soon contain a designer dog I paid big bucks for. I suppose everyone has a secret self that never see the light of day. Mine wears workboots and hangs out in honky tonks.

I was driving somewhere today and thought that the one thing--and maybe the only thing--I miss from my teens and twenties is dancing. I loved going out dancing. I haven't done it in years, and now I don't think my knees could take it. But dancing to bands was some of the most fun I ever had.

Those are my thoughts. I may have more one day. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I had two cockapoo's growing up. My mom named them Rhett and Scarlett. Does that give away my southern roots or what?
Best of luck with the books...and the dust bunnies.

Victoria said...

I'd like to request photos of the Cockapoo soon please!