Thursday, April 5, 2012

Maundy Thursday

Today I'm giving you a poem. It's called "Susanna," by Anne Porter, and it will make you well.

Susanna

Nobody in the hospital
Could tell the age
Of the old woman who
Was called Susanna.

I knew she spoke some English
And that she was an immigrant
Out of a little country
Trampled by armies

Because she had no visitors
I would stop by to see her
But she was always sleeping

All I could do
Was to get out her comb
And carefully untangle
The tangles in her hair

One day I was beside her
When she woke up
Opening small dark eyes
Of a surprising clearness

She looked at me and said
You want to know the truth?
I answered Yes

She said it's something that
My mother told me

There's not a single inch
Of our whole body
That the Lord does not love

She then went back to sleep.



7 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Beautiful. I'm keeping this poem.
Thank you, Frances.

Gumbo Lily said...

I love it! Thank you, Frances.

magsmcc said...

It did. On a day of one sun's dental trauma, this did. Thank you!

GretchenJoanna said...

Our bishop just warned us Wednesday night about not getting mixed up during Lent. He said it's not about finding every last bit of dirt in oneself, but about learning "how much God loves you."

Thank you for the poem - yes, it makes me feel better immediately!

The dB family said...

This gave me shivers! It's beautiful. Perfect.

Blessings!
Deborah

Shirley in Washington said...

Beautiful! Thank you, Frances. Happy Easter. Shirley

Tracy said...

A good reminder - especially when the poor ol' body just isn't doing what it should be.